Replace Toxic Chemicals from your Home with these Easy to Make and SAFE Cleaning Solutions
Commercial cleaning products for your home are chemical laden and extremely toxic. They have been linked to increased cancer in children and are also responsible for headaches, eczema, asthma and allergies. Its time they find their way out of your home and into the trash cans forever.
The safest, eco-friendly, antibacterial replacement is to make your own homemade cleaning solutions using the innate power of essential oils. Its way easier than you think and its cheaper! The cleaning recipes below contain options for your whole home’s cleaning needs such as all purpose cleaners, linen sprays, toilet scrubs, mirror cleaners and air fresheners.
Not only will your home be clean and smell soothing, but the naturally antibacterial, antiseptic, germ fighting essential oils will protect your family from illness. Some people believe that essential oils are not strong or powerful enough to eradicate germs but that’s incorrect. Oregano, Eucalyptus and Tea Tree essential oils have been proven to be potent antiviral warriors against many viruses including influenza, the norovirus and Staphylococcus Aureus.Antimicrobial Properties and Natural Degreasers
There is a very good reason why the commercial products also contain essential oils - they have exceptional antimicrobial properties and are known natural degreasers, especially Lemon and Lime. You’ll find that you already have vinegar and baking soda in your cupboard to add to the mix –they are excellent additions for absorbing grease and scouring. It only takes a few seconds, a few pennies, water, vinegar, essential oils and you have a fantastic window cleaner. You save on storage space because often one solution can tackle many jobs. There is the added benefit of feeling self pride at having done it yourself. Big pat on the back!
The most commonly used essential oils for safe and effective cleaning agents include: Tea Tree, Eucalyptus, Lemon, Rosemary, Sweet Orange, Lavender, Pine.Lemon All Purpose Cleaner and Degreaser
Lemon is your ultimate essential oil to degrease stubborn stains. It’s naturally antibacterial with a clean scent that is perfect to use in air fresheners. When Tea Tree and Lemon get together you have the makings for a great all purpose cleaner.
All you need is:
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon natural dish soap
- 30 drops Lemon essential oil
- 20 drops Tea Tree essential oil Mix all ingredients in a spray bottle. Shake, spray and wipe on sinks, counters, cabinets and toilets.
Along with its beautiful aroma, Lavender is also another strong antibacterial essential oil. Its best friend is vinegar and together they are a formidable cleaning agent. One of the best uses for Lavender in your home is as a linen spray with the assistance of Frankincense.
- 3 tablespoons witch hazel or vodka
- 1/4 cup distilled water
- 20 drops Lavender essential oil
- 15 drops Frankincense essential oil
- Add to a spritzer bottle, shake well, and spray. For use on all bedroom linen and mattress spray. You can also use Eucalyptus, Tea Tree or Rosemary for a useful mattress spray.
- 3/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons vodka or rubbing alcohol
- 10 drops Lavender essential oil
- 5 drops Chamomile essential oil
- Mix together in a spray bottle, shake and spray to eliminate bad odors or just invigorate a room.
Eucalyptus essential oil is a superhero germ fighter. It’s ideal to use for scrubbing clean your toilet.Add:
- 1/2 cup baking soda
- 1/3 cup liquid dishwashing soap
- 1/4 cup hydrogen peroxide
- 30 drops Eucalyptus essential oil
- 3/4 cup water
Mix together in a squeeze bottle, apply to the toilet area, scrub and then stand for 20 minutes before rinsing.
Peppermint essential oil has an enlivening cool scent and packs an awesome antibacterial punch. If you mix 15 drops of Peppermint with a cup of water and add it into a small spray bottle you have both an invigorating air freshener and a spider and ant repellant.
For a window or mirror cleaner add into a spray bottle:
- 3 cups distilled water
- 1/4 cup rubbing alcohol or vodka
- 1/4 cup vinegar
- 20 drops Peppermint essential oil
- Shake and spray on mirrors and windows. You remain streak free if you wipe off with paper towels.
Tea Tree is an epic germ buster doing battle with bacteria, viruses and all sorts of germs.
To keep your shower door and walls clean add:
- 1.5 cups water
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 1/2 cup rubbing alcohol
- 1 teaspoon natural liquid dish soap
- 15 drops Lime essential oil
- 15 drops Tea Tree essential oil
- Shake and spray daily to prevent build-up.
You can use Rosemary for laundry and soap, Sweet Orange for stubborn grease and fabric softeners, Cinnamon to spray away mildew and mold, Pine to kill yeast spores and cleaning floors and Thyme for cleaning cutting boards (fights Salmonella). There are thousands of simple household cleaner recipes out there to safely use in your bathrooms, kitchens, floors, carpets, furniture and outdoors. Transform your home into a germ free, non-toxic, eco-friendly environment by making your own products with these beneficial essential oil cleaners. Start creating your household cleaner recipe book using the power of essential oils.